It was an emergency call out one day before the Good Friday of 2022. Our senior electrician attended the site. It was reported that some but not all of the power points had ceased operation on one side of the house after a new garage door motor being installed earlier in the week by another provider.
Our client Jonathan at Pennant Hills has lived in his house with the family for more than 20 years. The electrical wiring was getting aged. Our seasoned electrician quickly ruled out that the new garage door motor installation had anything to do with the issue and dug into the true root cause for the power points failure.
As it turned out, the RCD on the switch board was faulty and one of the power point in the circuit was burnt completely out. Here are the photos for how bad the situation was. We then replaced the faulty RCD and the power point for Jonathan. Everything was back in order just over an hour after attending the site.
Pressed the TEST button but the RCD did not trip.
Hidden risk of electrocution or fire hazzard
Root Cause Found
Burnt out wire causing Power Points Failure
It was great to see Johnathan’s relief as the faulty components being rectified and his family can proceed with their planned party over the Easter break. But more importantly, we took the opportunity to advise the following to Jonathan on eliminating the electrocution risk or fire hazzard from his house.
- The RCDs need to be tested every 12 months and replace any faulty ones.
- Old power points, taking heavy load on a daily basis in particular need to be checked out by a qualified electrician on a regular basis.